Martin F. Medeiros at Swider Medeiros Haver LLP
Martin F. Medeiros,
Martin Medeiros practices in the areas of intellectual property (trade mark, copyright, patent, moral rights and trade secrets), commercial (contracts, business, unfair trade practices and corporate) and telecommunications commercial law.
Martin Medeiros serves as general counsel to various innovative entities and specializes in electronic commerce (e-commerce), contracts, Internet services, computers, wireless devices, consumer products, apparel, distribution, biotechnology, telecommunications and information technology related transactions. Martin Medeiros has extensive licensing experience and has represented the world’s largest software publishers, wireless carriers, e-commerce retailers, logistics service providers, insurance companies and airlines. Martin Medeiros negotiates transactions and disputes on behalf of and with organizations in China (Hong Kong, Shanxi, Shenzen, Beijing), India, Indonesia, Japan, Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Israel and France.
Martin Medeiros Admissions
Martin Medeiros Education
- Washington State Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Federal Bar of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon
Martin Medeiros Selected Lectures
- J.D., University of Tulsa College of Law; Notes and Comments Editor, Journal of International and Comparative Law; Honorary Member in Scribes
- B.S., American University, Finance.
Martin Medeiros Publications
- "Trade Secrets: Federal and State Case Year in Review," Oregon State Bar, Intellectual Property Section March 11, 2010.
- "Intellectual Property for Service Companies", Adivising Closely Held and Family Businesses, Oregon Law Institute, March 5, 2010.
- "Preparing your Technology Company for Merger and Acquistion," Oregon State Bar, Computer and Internet Law Section January 21, 2010.
- Guest Lecturer, "Intellectual Property", Masters in Management in Science and Technology Capstone Course, Oregon Heath Sciences University, 2009.
- Instructor, "Negotiation for Health care and Science Management" Oregon Heath and Sciences University, School of Science and Engineering, Department of Management in Science and Technology, 2008-present.
- "Optimization of Business Transaction Negotiation" Lewis and Clark College of Law, October 24, 2008.
- "Oregon Biotechnology Year in Review" Oregon Bioscience Association, Annual Meeting, June 6, 2008.
- Moderator, "Venture Capital Investing in Biotechnology", 2008 Burrill Pacific Northwest Bioscience Conference, May 6, 2008.
- "Open Source and Portland's Economy" for POSSE, 2008.
- "Intellectual Property in 30 Minutes" Oregon Law Institute, Annual Business Law CLE, 2008.
- "Proper Grammar, Usage and Syntax of Business Names," Oregon State Bar, October 22, 2006, World Forestry Center, Portland, Oregon.
- “Planning an Open Source Strategy,” Oregon State Bar / SABRE Group - Portland, OR / Dallas, TX 2005.
- “Leadership in Technology,” Women In Technology International, Mentor Graphics, Wilsonville, November 2004.
- “Technology Transfer for Entrepreneurs,” Oregon Entrepreneurs' Forum, Bend, October 2003.
- “Application Service Providers and Traditional Licensing,” Software Association of Oregon, Portland, April 2004.
- “Licensing Technology Into Your Jurisdiction,” Nat’l Assoc. of Seed and Venture Capital, Portland, October 2001.
- “Application Service Providers: Software Distribution and Service,” Oregon Law Institute: Lewis and Clark College of Law, Portland, April 2001.
- “Use of Contract Labor in Information Technology,” Oregon Dept. of Justice Retreat, Menucha Lodge, April 2001.
- “Technology Negotiation is Communication,” Amazon.com, Seattle, September 2000.
- “International Aspects of Internet Transactions: A Practitioners Toolbox,”
- Ore. State Bar, Int’l Law Section, Portland, 1999.
- “What Counsel and CIOs Should Know About Information Technology Transactions and Y2K,” The Saint Paul (USF&G Insurance), Baltimore 1997, and CNF Transportation, Portland, 1998.
- “IT Metrics and Contract Performance,” ICM, Toronto, Miami, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., 1998.
Martin Medeiros Community Service
- Licensing Technology, Oregon Law Institute (June 12, 2009).
- Electronic Commerce Desk-Book, Author of chapters on Licensing, Electronic Financial Transactions and eBanking, Open Source (Oregon State Bar, Computer and Internet Law Section 2009).
- Plugging Portland's Wasteful Brain Drain, Oregonian, December 5, 2006.
- Network Neutrality: Regulating the Internet, Oregonian, May 24, 2006.
- Shecky and E-Commerce Come of Age, Oregon Law Institute (2005).
- Patent License Annotated Form, Advising Oregon Business, Oregon State Bar (2004).
- Technology Transfer for Entrepreneurs, Oregon Entrepreneurs Forum, (2003, republished in 2004).
- A Brief Overview of Technology Transfer Issues for Entrepreneurs, Preston Gates and Ellis, LLP, (2003).
- RFP for IT, Oregon Business Magazine, June 2002.
- Asset Management, Enterprise Operations Management Handbook, First Edition, Steven F. Blanding (Editor) (CRC Press, 1999).
- Asset Management: Maximizing Shareholder Value, Information Systems Management 1st Quarter 1998.
- Interviewed in: Asset Management Out of Control, by Bob Violino, Information Week June 9, 1997, photo. P. 46.
- Transboundary Water Rights: A Valuation for Efficient Allocation, 1 Tulsa J. Comp. & Intl. Law 157 (1993).
- A Permissive Wheeling Scheme: Qualifying Facility Transmission Access and The Energy Policy Act of 1992, 28 Tulsa Law J. 521 (1993).
- Chairman, City of Portland, Small Business Advisory Council 2009
- Chairman, Oregon State Bar, Computer and Internet Law Section 2006
- Vice President and Treasurer of the Board of Directors, Portland Community Media 2004-2007
- Board of Directors, Oregon Law Institute, Lewis and Clark College of Law 2005-present
- Portland Venture Group, Investment Review Committee 2004-2006
- Board of Directors, Oregon Bioscience Association2003-2008
- City of Portland, Citizen Budget Review Board 2006-2009
- Chairman, City of Portland, Volunteer Small Business Advisory Council 2006-2009
Have you covered all the bases of your business, legally?
Is there an integrated intellectual property process and policy written for your business?
Are copyright filings tasked to a resource internally or externally? Have they been trained? Is that resource doing it correctly?
Swider Medeiros Haver LLP, can come to the rescue for your business in numerous ways.
Find out how here.
Swider Medeiros Haver LLP
1420 American Bank Building
621 SW Morrison Street
Portland, Oregon 97205